Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Pork and White Bean Stout Stew

This one is AMAZING!  Full disclosure, I didn't think much of the recipe when I read it.  I thought it sounded interesting, but I wasn't sure it would be great.  I was wrong.  It's quite simple to make and the few seasonings it does call for really compliment the pork and butternut squash for total deliciousness!  I did not cook it exactly as this one called for.  If you want my shortcut tips see them at the bottom.

This one was printed in The Week magazine from Stephanie Witt Sedgwick's post in The Washington Post.


Pork and White Bean Stout Stew

2 Tbsp olive oil
3 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, cut into cubes
2 c. diced onions
kosher salt
1 c. stout
1/4 c. molasses
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
two 15 oz. cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
black pepper
1 lb. peeled, seeded butternut squash, cut into 3/4 inch pieces

Heat oven to 325 degrees and position a rack in its bottom third.  Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Working in batches, cook pork 3 to 4 minutes, until browned, then transfer to a bowl.  Turn heat under empty skillet to high, add 1/2 c. water, and dislodge browned bits.  Remove skillet from heat and reserve liquid.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add onions and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to medium.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.  Add stout, 1 c. water, molasses, cloves, beans, and liquid from the skillet.  Season with salt and pepper and add pork.  When liquid bubbles, cover and transfer to oven.  Bake 1 hour.  Remove pan from the oven and stir in the squash, then cover and return to oven.  Bake 20 minutes or until the pork and squash are tender.  Let rest 10 minutes, uncovered.  Serves 8-10.

Kylie's Tips:
Any time a recipe with meat or vegetables calls for water, I use chicken or beef broth.  It gives it more flavor than just watering something down.  Moderate how much salt you add separately though because the broth will have salt in it.

I'm an easy kitchen, low maintenance cook when I can be so I did not use the oven at all.  I used a 5 quart pot to brown the pork, put the pork in a bowl after it's all browned.  I used the oil in the pan from the pork to soften my onions and scrape up the brown bits and then added all ingredients back in that same pot.  I kept the cook times the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kylie the Tennessee Mermaid

  Announcement time! I've created a new YouTube Channel with fun mermaid videos and, best of all, tips and exercises you can use to live...