Monday, December 4, 2017

A Conversation with Sajani About Working on an Indian Reservation

Thank you so much for your gracious acceptance, Sajani! Please tell us a little about your background.

I was born in India where my family and I lived in a joint family house with my grandparents, aunt & uncle, and my cousin (talk about the Brady Bunch). I moved to Chicago when I was about 7 and I’ve lived there ever since. Growing up I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, but I knew it was something in the healthcare field with a lot of patient interaction, that’s why I chose to pursue pharmacy. And I’ve enjoyed every bit of it.

You've made some big moves in your life.  What is that experience like?

My move to Knoxville was difficult; I’ve always lived around family, so moving to a new state where I didn’t know anyone was tough. The first 5-6 months were the toughest because I was trying to adjust living on my own (so if got into a problem I had to figure it out on my own). I also felt lonely because I was engulfed in school and didn’t really have time for friends.

You worked on an Indian reservation this summer isolating yourself from friends and family.  Was it a similar experience?

I was there for a month- August, but it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had and I’ve recommended other students to do this rotation next year. This experience wasn’t the same as my move to Knoxville because I’ve gotten accustomed to living independently. I also went there with a classmate that I have been friends with throughout school, so it helped having someone there.

What brought you to working on an Indian Reservation? Tell us how and why you ended up there?

I wanted to experience something different, and I heard a lot of good things about this rotation from an upper classman. It’s also a highly competitive rotation; only two students get selected to go there. I was fortunate enough to be selected and fly out to Parker, AZ. We have a couple other Indian reservation opportunities available, but Arizona attracted me the most. I heard from previous students that they get to go to Supai, Grand Canyon to help out in their clinic, and we get to interact and shadow doctors while being at the hospital, so we were exposed to a lot of things. I was able to sit in a couple circumcisions, which was very unique. Supai was a different experience – the pharmacy there was as big as a small closet yet they had the essential medications. The day we were there, we had to do outdates and replace some of their emergency kits. Afterwards we were able to explore the Supai village (at the bottom of the Grand Canyon). Havasupai village is a very secluded area- in order to bring things to the village; they had to be transported in a helicopter. The members of the tribe only catered to essentials when they had to bring things into the village from the outside. Everyone who entered the village had to check in and out of the main entrance (it was a secure area). Many of the members of the tribe (including elderly) walked 5+ miles to get from their home to the clinic and mini store. They used donkeys and horses to transport mail, this was probably the first time I ever encountered poverty among the natives.  Overall, it was a unique experience.
 
Parker Reservation is rather large and has more than one tribe, which tribes live there?

Mohave, Chemehuevi, Hopi, Navajo tribes are all part of the Parker reservation.

What thoughts were going through your head the night before your flight to Parker?

Honestly, I was just super excited to start there and meet the team! It was my first time being on the west coast by myself for a whole month, I felt turmoil of emotions. I was nervous, exhilarated, scared. But I knew it was going to be a unique experience.

Tell us a little about the conditions and life as you saw it on the reservation.

It was definitely different. Like I said many patients had multiple medications, multiple diseases/conditions but they had free healthcare that I thought was remarkable. Some of the patients there had diabetes in the 400-600 levels (super high), but it was normal for them. The patients that came to the clinic were hard workers – they would be outside all day in extreme hot weathers working. One thing I noted about them was that they never complained- they were happy with their lives and work.

Did you find any large differences between their hospitals and one you would find in the States or, was the hospital in the States, bordering the reservation?

They are a federal hospital so I didn’t really see many differences. There were a few things that were a little different such as the amount of medications patients were on (health care didn’t cost them a dime – so some patients were on 30+ medications), they didn’t accept any outside prescriptions (so the patients who did see an outside clinic or hospital doctor had to go to the outpatient clinic at the hospital and have someone authorize a script), and it was a very small hospital with under 15 beds including ER and inpatient.

Did you experience any different food while you were there? 

They didn’t have any traditional Native American restaurants, so I wasn’t exposed to any of their unique foods. They had a lot of Mexican restaurants there. But I learned of a traditional meal they have during their cultural events, it’s the frybread (also called Navajo Tacos). It has refried beans, hamburger, lettuce, and tomatoes and you can drizzle salsa on top or you can eat it plain with powdered sugar.

Did you experience any of their cultural events that you'd like to tell us about?

Unfortunately I didn’t get to experience any cultural events, they were in the following months; however my friend told me all about it and it sounded incredible. Hopefully I can attend one next year.
  
Did you find that you had to make adjustments to the new environment?

No, it was an easy transition there, having a really good team and a friend there helped a lot. After rotations, some of the techs would take us and show us around Parker.

How was your overall experience, with the people, the land, the culture, anything at all?

It was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. The people there were super friendly and caring, including the patients. It was hard to not like the patients, everyone recognized you and asked for you during their visit to the hospital. It was a unique experience because growing up in a big town I didn’t know my neighbors; I never realized how different small towns could be where everyone knows everyone. I also got to explore the ghost town on the reservation and learned a little about their history.

Would you like to go back?

I would go back in a heartbeat. I came out of the Indian Reservation with some life long friends and incredible experiences. I’ve considered working for them in the future as a pharmacist and would be honored if I got hired. 
  
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!





If you would like to volunteer or provide assistance to any of our Brothers & Sisters at Parker or any Reservation you can explore options here: https://www.aaanativearts.com/mailbag-archive-2/do-indian-reservations-need-summer-volunteers.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kylie the Tennessee Mermaid

  Announcement time! I've created a new YouTube Channel with fun mermaid videos and, best of all, tips and exercises you can use to live...