Monday, December 11, 2017

A Conversation with Lane Burdette, The Black Belt Santa

First, thank you so much for taking the time.  Lane, you are a man of many talents but what I want to talk about today is your experience as one of Santa's Helpers; I believe with your friends at Martial Arts Carolina they call you "The Black Belt Santa."

Last year I was moved to tears watching a young boy, around 12, light up when another friend of mine playing Santa and I were walking through Walmart.  He was so excited, he could hardly decide what to do with his hands, asked his parents if he could come over for a photo and ran up to us to take it.  It was so sweet and passionate.  Meeting Santa can be a super exciting time.  What is your most touching experience playing Santa?

At a neighborhood breakfast with Santa a little girl sat on my lap and told me what she wanted for Christmas. There were also activities for the kids, and later she came back to give me a hug and give me an ornament she had made for my Christmas tree.

It can also be scary for some children.  Have you had a not so great experience with a scared child?

Yes, some kids are terrified of Santa. The parents want a picture of them with Santa but the child doesn’t want to get close. With those we tell the parent to get off the side and hold their child in their arms. They get the child to look at the camera so they think they are getting their picture taken with mom/dad and I come up from behind so the child doesn’t see me but I’m in the picture with them.

Do you have any other coping tricks or tips when dealing with an uncertain child?

You don’t rush them. Let them watch the other kids come up. Sometimes they will get brave after watching the other kids come. Sometimes you can coach them to come closer by holding out the stocking I carry that is full of peppermints.

What events have you played Santa for in the past?  Family events or at public gatherings?

I’ve done daycare, preschool, neighborhood parties and individual families. There is one family we do every year on Christmas eve. When the dad was little one of his memories from Christmas was getting a big navel orange. Each year he leaves a bag of oranges outside that I put in my Santa’s sack and give one to each person in the house.

Did playing Santa come naturally because you have the perfect beard or does the payoff of being Santa keep the beard going year long?

I started playing Santa at my church. Back then my beard was dark so I wore the fake beard over it. Eventually my beard started turning grey and I abandoned the fake beard. I used to trim my beard back to about a quarter inch in January but about four years ago I decided to leave it long year round.

Any unusual requests from the children to Santa that you’d like to share? I don’t want you to break the North Pole Confidentiality Agreement.

Mostly it is the usual stuff. Sometimes when they get on my lap their memory goes right out the door so I suggest things to them. It pays to pay attention to all of the toy commercials in December. There was one little boy when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas he said, “I want a Woody.” All of the adults that were within earshot started to giggle. I said so you like Toy Story.

 Have children ever presented you with gifts or snacks?

Yes, one little girl had baked cookies at home and brought me a bag of them.

Do they ever ask what you'd like for Christmas?

Yes, I usually answer that I want everyone to have the best Christmas ever!

Do they ever bring you their Letters to Santa?

Kids will bring me lists of what they want for Christmas but refuse to let their parents see the list. Parents come to me later and ask if they can have the list because their child wouldn’t let them read it. One parent told me that they would ask what the child wanted for Christmas and the reply was, “I’ve put it on my list and I’m giving it to Santa.”

What's the funniest experience you can think of while playing Santa?

It was funny to me after looking at the picture that was taken of two ladies sitting on my lap. All you could see was my smiling face between two sets of large breasts.

As a woman, I don't think the kids will let me get away with playing Santa.  Any advice for someone who wants to dress up and spread holiday cheer even if we don’t quite fit the traditional mold?

I know that there is the picture of the fat jolly white man in a red suit with a beard but to me it is the attitude that attracts kids. If you are willing to find fun and joy in the season, kids will come to you and tell you what they want regardless of size race or gender. They will love to talk to Sandy (Kylie) Claus and tell her what they want for Christmas.

Thank you so much for taking the time!


Have a great Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kylie the Tennessee Mermaid

  Announcement time! I've created a new YouTube Channel with fun mermaid videos and, best of all, tips and exercises you can use to live...