Friday, October 27, 2017

Interview with Female MMA Fighter, Amanda Miller


First things first, thanks for taking the time talk with me, Mandy!

Thank you so much for the invite and the questions.  You came up with some great questions thank you for taking the time to come up with them and the blog.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I have heard Coach Chris Martindale of The Dawg House Gym refer to you as the most decorated female martial artist in West Virginia, is that correct?

Yes, He has been known to refer to me as that lol.

How long have you been training martial arts?

I have been training for 15 years.


What arts do you train?

Wow! Well I have trained in several different styles of martial arts: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate.  Ju-Jitsu,  Boxing,  Kickboxing, Wrestling, Judo, Aikido, Muay Thai those are the ones I can think of as of right now.



What got you interested?

I started my son in karate class when he was 5 years old.  The instructor's wife talked me into taking a class, and after I got through the basics I fell in love with it.

Now, Mixed Martial arts, or MMA, is about as rough as it gets. Allow me to ask, why do you do it?

For me it is a passion.  I just have a love for the competition and the sport it keeps me centered.


Is there something in particular that made you want to take a fight?

Yes.  when I had my first fight I was soul searching.  After my first fight I realized it made me feel alive or human again.  See at the time I was in a marriage that was both mentally and physically abusive.  Not many people know this and it's something I didn't talk about but over the past 5 years I have been able to open up about it some.  but for the blog I will say that the fighting and the training always gave me something to look forward to.

What were your thoughts before your first fight?

Scared to death!  But lots of emotions fear being one.  a huge adrenaline rush.  "Can I do this?"  "What am I doing?"  "Ok let's do this!!!"  I literally couldn't sit still before I entered the cage.


Have you lost a fight?  If so, what kept you motivated to get back in the cage? I mean some of us get upset if they fall off of a diet, my guess is that getting back in there where there is actual physical risk is altogether different.

Yes. I have lost fights. My motivation is the passion for the sport and the competition.  And yes, I am my worst critic. always questioning: Am I good enough? Did I train enough?  What happened? What went wrong? Watching and re-watching the fight to see my mistakes where I could improve or where I should have done this instead of that. I put so much time and energy into training camps that it takes a hard mental-toll even more than a physical one

Knowing how hard you work, does it sometimes get a little annoying to hear people go on about how “tough” their day is?

No not really. I think with the world we live in today everyone has their "tough" days. Everyone's lifestyle is different and really, I just like to try to lift people's spirits, because really we never know what someone is dealing with on a daily basis.

Do you prefer to train with men or women, or does it even matter?

It doesn't matter really, well as long as the men can leave their egos outside the gym doors. I have been injured in training by a couple of men training partners with ego issues.  Ones not wanting a woman to get the best of them or tap them out. But I do have several men training partners that are awesome and know just how to push me but not overdo it. Heck most of the time I am the only "chick" in the gym lol.


What's your take on making weight?

The whole weight thing is awful. There needs to be more weight classes. everyone is built different. I work out so much that it makes me carry more muscle. and I'm sure everyone is aware that it weighs more than fat. so I always end up starving and doing the sauna suit in the gym-training and in the sauna.  It's so hard on the body both physically and mentally

What does Tim think of your fighting?

He supports me 110% he always finds the time to make it to the gym to watch me train, and he is even one of my training partners throughout my training camps.  He says he loves to watch me fight win or lose.


What fighters, male or female, do you admire and why?

Meisha Tate. she is the reason for women's MMA being where it is today.  She is and always will be the people's champ. She has an amazing heart and she is always humble win or lose. I'm not sure why, but I just always stay in shape and in training and wait for what's offered next.


What’s next for you in your fighting/martial arts career?

Personal Trainer. I have gotten so hooked on the healthy lifestyle that I would love to make everyone healthy (and I said healthy not skinny).  I do have a few people that I work with but if I had the time I would love to have my license and do it all the time.


In speaking to a friend or someone at home now who doesn't work out yet, what's the one thing you would tell them to do to get started without having to make any purchases or get a gym membership?

To get started one doesn't need a gym really.  Diet and portion control is a huge part of it all. Start tracking calories, cut out carbs. increase vegetables and fruits, and foods high in protein chicken, fish, etc. Start with walking or jogging 30 minutes a day and build from there. Set small goals for yourself so you don't get frustrated. And there are so many workouts you can do by just using your own body push-ups, sit-ups, leg lifts, stretching, and the list goes on.

Thank you so much for your time, it's been an honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kylie the Tennessee Mermaid

  Announcement time! I've created a new YouTube Channel with fun mermaid videos and, best of all, tips and exercises you can use to live...