Monday, November 20, 2017

A Conversation with MMA Fighter, Steven Haag

Steven Haag is a sergeant at Hamblen County Sheriff’s Office, a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and 2007 #1 Ranked ground fighter in the nation by Gladiator Magazine.

Thank you so much for talking to us today, Steven!  How long have you been training martial arts?

I have been training martial arts for 15 years.


What arts do you train?

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu & Boxing

What got you interested?

A friend of mine did a demonstration at our middle school talent show and that’s what hooked me.

Is there something in particular that made you want to take that first fight?

I was a very competitive jiu jitsu practitioner at that time. So more than anything it was just the challenge. It was a new type of challenge. I love pushing myself and challenging myself and that was the next step.

What were your thoughts before your first fight?

LOL! I’m about to go get punched in the face!!!

Have you lost a fight?  If so, what kept you motivated to get back in the cage? I mean some of us find it hard to get out of the chair to go for a walk, my guess is that getting back in there where there is actual physical risk is altogether different.

I finished up 2-0 as an amateur and currently 3-2 as a pro. The way I look at it you either win or you learn. With that type of mindset there are no losses only the possibility for improvement. So that is what continues to push me each and every day.

Have you ever had an embarrassing or unusual moment in the cage?

Luckily not yet.

Knowing how hard you work, does it sometimes get a little annoying to hear people go on about how “tough” their day is?

Not at all. Just because it doesn’t seem tough to me doesn’t mean it’s not tough for someone else. You never know what each individual has going on in their life. So, for them it could be a tough day.

What's your take on making weight?

I hate it! I am very mentally tough so making weight has never been an issue. My last 2 weeks I am very strict on what I eat. Usually about a week out I am 10 pounds over. I cut down to 5 lbs out by Thursday and then cut the last 5 lbs of water weight that morning before weigh ins.

What does Kandace think of your fighting?

It makes her a nervous wreck! However, she knows it is something I am very passionate about and supports me 100%.

What fighters, male or female, do you admire and why?

Mine have changed some over the years but the 2 that has stayed constant is Georges St. Pierre and Demetrious Johnson. Both are very humble and confident. Both are as well rounded as they come.

How did you transition from amateur to pro and what advice to you have for others wanting to do the same?

People are going to progress at different rates but don’t go until you are ready mentally and physically. If you can’t be in the gym 2 times a day 5 to 6 days a week. Don’t make the jump until you are willing to make those sacrifices. I would also suggest have a very strong base in one area whether it be wrestling, bjj, Muay Thai. Anything that you can fall back on when things go sideways in there.

If I recall correctly you were a competitive archer in a former life. Tell me a little about that.

I shot and traveled all over the United States competing in archery when I was younger. In 2003 & 2004 I won back to back shooter of the year awards and back to back world championships!

What’s next for you in your fighting/martial arts career?

No scheduled fights at the moment. However, I just had a Black Belt BJJ Exhibition Match against Chad Hardy at Hatchers in Maryville on November 18th.

If you were to do ONE thing that you’ve never done, besides martial arts. Something else to apply your dedication to but you don’t because there are only so many hours in the day, what would it be?

I am a huge history buff. So, I think anything in archaeological work would be pretty cool.

I like to ask everyone to tell the readers what is one thing they can do to get started today (in either MMA or fighting-fitness) without any startup costs; something you can do at home, right now. What would you advise someone to do?

There are a ton of Youtube channels and fitness channels that are free of charge. Starting out just be active! Find something and do it 2 to 3 days a week 30 minutes to an hour. No matter what always push yourself. If its easy push harder.

Thank you so much for your time; it’s been an honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kylie the Tennessee Mermaid

  Announcement time! I've created a new YouTube Channel with fun mermaid videos and, best of all, tips and exercises you can use to live...