Sunday, May 9, 2021

Legacy

Many years ago, my mom made a dessert.  For whatever reason, we decided the crust looked like monkey puke, (though all agreed it was delicious) and it was forever known in my household as Monkey Puke Pie.  

Today is Mother's Day and it's my second one without mine.  Her birthday also falls this week.  I was trying to decide how to celebrate my mom and thought it would be a great idea to make some Monkey Puke Pie.  I couldn't find the recipe in my vast collection.

My grandmother (Mama's mom) passed about seven years ago.  I wanted two things when she passed--her sewing scissors that she taught me to sew with and any recipes could get.  My cousin, Bethany, also wanted some of her recipes and had a box of them for many years.  Recently, she and I met to catch up and she brought me a recipe box of Grandma's recipes.  Today, I decided to look through the box and reminisce on some of her inspirational cooking, and I was so excited to find a copy of Monkey Puke Pie in there!  

I know the name of the dessert is both ridiculous and disgusting.  But I also remember the laughs and joy we got from talking about it, not to mention having it. Looking though the recipe box and seeing Grandma's writing, my writing (I wrote the recipe that she kept in the box)--thinking of her keeping the recipe I wrote out for her and me finding it many years later.

Live life; have fun; find joy in all moments.  We never know what silly thing at the time is going to mean something so many years later.  

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there and to mine and her mother; Mobitsiaru!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kylie the Tennessee Mermaid

  Announcement time! I've created a new YouTube Channel with fun mermaid videos and, best of all, tips and exercises you can use to live...